Wednesday, June 28, 2006
Baked Potato Soup
G is away on a another business trip (sigh) and so it is soup night again here in Torrance. Tonight I'm making Baked Potato soup, for three reasons: 1. Soup is easy for one person. 2. I'm Irish, so potatoes are my comfort food. 3. G isn't here, so I can cook BACON!!
And the only hard part about this soup is resisting the urge to snack on the crispy bacon before the soup is ready!
1/4 cup diced onion
1 tb olive oil
2 tb butter
2 tb flour
1/4 cup white wine
1 cup diced potato
4 cups chicken stock or water
4 rashers bacon, fried until crisp
2 stalks fresh thyme
2 tb grated cheddar cheese
1 tb minced green onion or chive
1. Saute onions until soft in a medium sized pot over medium heat in the oil.
2. Add the butter and stir until melted. Stir in the flour to make a roux.
3. Deglaze with the wine.
4. Add the stock 1 cup at a time, while stirring.
5. Bring to the boil. Add 2/3 cup diced potato and the fresh thyme.
6. Simmer over medium heat until the potatoes are cooked, about 15 minutes. Process soup in a blender. Return to pot.
7. Add the remaining potatoes and cook an additional 4 minutes, until they are soft.
8. Chop the bacon into large pieces.
9. Serve with bacon, cheddar cheese and green onions sprinkled over top.